Sunday, January 15, 2006

'Sup

Yep, I'm actually here and posting!

Things have been hectic in my little world. Kaia and I have been battling illness - on and off - for a month now. I'd gotten very sick at work on the Friday of my first week. I was out until the following Thursday with a bad case of bronchitis and the flu. Kaia had an ear infection (only her second one ever).

As soon as one of us started to get better, it came back. Talk about annoying! Kaia got sick at school on Friday, so I had to leave work early (I wasn't feeling so hot myself so I was happy to leave), but I'd racked up 3+ hours of overtime during the week, so I didn't really miss those hours. Anyway, turns out she had another ear infection. Fantastic!

Work is going well and Kaia is flourishing in school. The teachers adore her and she's got one teacher in particular (Miss Cindy) whom she really loves. Miss Cindy is with her for only a couple of hours in the morning (she teaches Kindergarten and is in the classroom next door, but she's there with Kaia until all of the school aged kids have left for school). The other teachers are always telling me how sweet Kaia is. I'm so glad that she's listening...that was my main concern because she's only ever really had to listen to me and dh and occasionally the grandparents. But she's a good girl, so I figured she'd be fine. They love her and she's made some friends at school. She's got one friend named Sarah who Kaia talks about constantly. She named three of her toys after Sarah. She's got a good group of girl friends, but only two of them are actually in her class. See, over the holidays, because a lot of the school aged kids were there all day (while school was on winter break), they mixed Kindergarten and the 5s (Kaia's class...it's the kids who missed the Kindergarten cut-off this year, so Kaia's a good year younger than most of them since she just turned 4 in August, when most of the kids were about to turn 5) in the kindergarten classroom and the school-aged kids were in Kaia's classroom. So she got to hang out with the Kindergarteners. Sarah is in Kindergarten (as are Maddie, Illona, and Mikayla, three of her other friends). Sami and Alex are her two friends in her class. She was a little bummed this past Monday because it was the first day that the classes were separated again...but she's been talking about Sami and Alex a lot this week, so at least she's not totally bummed. And she does get to play in the mornings and evenings and outside with Sarah still.

As for me, work is going well. The kids drive me insane pretty often, but I'm still alive and I have a pretty nice paycheck, so I'm good. I have some kids with MAJOR behavioral issues in my class...I have a girl who I swear is the spawn of the devil. She is just pure evil. Her mother and grandmother speak of her as if she's the greatest thing on earth, so it's no wonder she's a little brat. She's mean and does not listen to anything. She gets in trouble every five minutes for something or another. I have twin girls who are horrible listeners and are totally wild. I have a group of boys who are VERY physical with the other kids...one who will hit and push the instant he thinks no one is looking. THe devil spawn girl hits, spits, kicks, pushes, slaps...she throws things. She does it all and is by far the worst. She threw a marker at another teacher on Thursday and then elbowed him when he told her that was not acceptable. The thing is, the rules at my place state that these kids are basically allowed to do whatever the heck the want. We have 100 pages of curriculum a WEEK for four-year olds...yet any time they don't want to participate in something they don't have to and are basically allowed to play in any of the "centers" they want whenever they want. It's a mess. I hate the laxe approach. I'm all for positive discipline approaches as it's how I do things in my own home (with great results, I might add), but there's a big difference between positive discipline and NO discipline. It's no wonder these kids act like animals and are impossible to control. They aren't controlled at home and then they're allowed to do whatever they want at school, too. I have some really great kids, too - which makes it all worth while. There is one boy who is just fantastic at everything he does...really and truly, this kis is gonna be somebody when he grows up. He's four years old, can throw a mean spiral football (he can throw it clear across the playground, which is a good 60-75 feet), he can write his name very clearly, knows his letter sounds, can draw wonderfully...I don't think there's a thing he can't do and he's a total sweetheart, too. He has his moments of not listening as any normal four-year old does, but he's just amazing. I think he's gonna be a star quarterback when he grows up...I'm getting his autograph now!


In other news, yesterday hubby has his 4th day off since he's been gone. His 4th day total (he works 7 days a week, 12 hours a day) in 5 months. The very good news is that he's had a chat with his captain and apparently his captain had no idea that he'd been having issues (being left out of the loop, etc.) and the captain said he can totally see his side of the issue now. Honestly, I don't know how the captain could NOT have an idea since he's pretty much all but come out and told him exactly what had been going on, but whatever...now that it's out there, things should get better for him. AND he might start working only 8 hours a day soon! YAY!

My brother-in-law has a new baby boy now...Jaiden Amari (Amari is and has always been one of my favorite boy names...damn...now that one's crossed off the list). It's a family tradition on hubby's dad's side to give hte boys the initials J.A. The only one who doesn't have a J.A. name is dh's dad. But everyone else down the line has the initials J.A., so we'd all planned to carry it on. DH and I cannot agree on J boy names for anything, but Amari was one of the few A names we both really liked (I like more 'ethnic' and non-Western names...he likes more Western sounding names, but not really common). Oh well. I'm an auntie now and hte baby looks just like dh did as a baby. Kaia looked exactly like my brother-in-law when she was born. Too funny.

Anyway...got something else to talk about, so...

1 Comments:

Blogger ~Nutz said...

I've been wondering what's been going on with you! It sounds like, for the most part, things are OK. Well, except you guys being sick and those bratty kids, LOL! Congrats on being an auntie! Thanks for the update. {{{hugs}}}

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home